Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My Beloved Knives, Part 6

Forschner

(6 inch boning & formerly 6 inch boning)

These Swiss made knives are without a doubt the most bang-for-the-buck knives in my kit.  They are very well made and, at about 20 bucks each, a real bargain.  I really do love to butcher, and these knives make the job a joy.  They've helped me break down maybe fifty whole lamb, literally thousands of chickens and countless other ducks, rabbits, quail and the like.  If you happen to be a vegetarian do not read the previous sentence...see, I'm a compassionate guy.  My meat fabrication teacher at the CIA used a knife that looked like the one on the bottom in the picture above but the blade had been worn down even thinner.  I remember wondering how that could possibly happen...how could a knife get used so much (and resharpened...or should I say re-shape-ened?)...to get that thin...and of what use is it then?  I have two more of these knives that are worn to degrees between these two, so I guess I no longer wonder how a knife can get so worn.  This instructor was a true character...tons of energy...he spent many years working as a cutter in a Hormel plant and was also an umpire for Major League Baseball...a fairly common combination of jobs, I'm sure you would agree.

2 comments:

  1. I'm checking out these Forchner knives on Ebay. They come in stiff or flex styles. There's also a 5" version. Which do you prefer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill...Thanks for the question. I wanted to wait to reply until I was in a store that had both the flex and stiff versions. (couldn't remember which one I had). I prefer the flex version (still pretty rigid) and I also prefer the 6 inch version. I remember buying them for $18, it was $32 when I saw it the other day...still well worth it!

    ReplyDelete