Monday, February 1, 2010

My Beloved Knives, Part 5

MAC



(8 1/2 inch chef's & 3 1/4 inch paring)



These are my favorite and most used knives.  These great Japanese knives are light, thin, and nimble...and "relatively" inexpensive.  I used to be able to get the chef's knife for about $90...now they are closer to $150.  To some of you this may not fit into the admittedly stretched category of inexpensive, but they are an absolute dream to use, hold an edge very well and will last a long time.  I used to think I loved the larger, thicker, heavier German knives but once I got used to the "mighty MAC" there was no looking back.  Now when I go back and cut something like carrots with the Friedr. Dick knife it feels more like splitting wood with an axe.  It cuts the first third of the way, then just splits the rest of the vegetable before the blade has a chance to slice.  No nice smooth cut, just splintered shards.  The MAC, on the other hand just feels like it is gliding through.  My first MAC was a gift from a chef I was working for who always seemed to hate my "big klunky German knives".

There is no right or wrong, here...use what you like.  To me it is a bit like golf clubs or skis...such a personal choice.  Ultimately, it's about the end result.  Do your golf clubs help you enjoy the game and shoot better scores?  Do your ski boots hug your feet just so after hours on the mountain?  Does your knife fit YOUR hand comfortably and help you get the results you are after?

No comments:

Post a Comment