Saturday, January 30, 2010

My Beloved Knives, Part 4

Gustav Emil Ern


(9 1/2 inch blade)









This knife was a leave behind by a former roommate and co-worker (he stole from me while we lived together, so don't think too poorly of me for not tracking him down to make sure he gets it back).  When I found it in a random box in the garage it looked like something I probably should have just thrown away.  Every square inch of the metal was pure rust!  It felt hefty and well made in my hand so I figured it worth taking a chance on and I brought it to my "knife doctor".  He did the most amazing job in bringing it back to life and, in doing so, revealed that amazing stamped logo.  I love this knife's character and it's what I use for hacking up bones (oops, that makes it sound like I'm coughing up bones...maybe whacking is the better word) to make stocks and sauces.  If you look closely, you can see some pretty significant nicks in the blade.  Poor guy, his last job was chopping up some very sturdy venison bones while I was still chef at Calistoga Ranch.  I have since relegated him to more suitable bone chopping jobs such as fish frames, chicken, duck, and rabbit bones, to name a few.

1 comment:

  1. This knife scares me.Did you cut up the chicken on Friday with this knife? It was wonderful. Looking forward to my next meal with you.

    ReplyDelete