Sunday, January 24, 2010

My Beloved Knives, Part 1

Like many chefs, I suspect, I've owned a great many knives over the years.  Over this and the next handful of posts I will share with you some of my most significant.

Here, then, is my own culinary journey as told through my knives...

Sabatier

(current blade 1 15/16 inches)
(probable original blade 4 inches)

The first knife I ever owned, this has great sentimental value for me and I will have it forever...even once all of the metal is gone and it's just that beautiful wooden handle.  I do have a few ideas on how to turn it into a VERY useful new tool for the kitchen, but that's a story for another day.  As you can see, it is currently on life support, with more than half of its blade gone and its tip snapped off :-(  When I was in junior high school I saw an advertisement in Bon Appetit Magazine for a set of these great looking, wood-handled Sabatier knives.  To get you to try them the ad had a picture of this knife that you could mail away for at a price even my lawn mowing income could afford...$5.95.  I eagerly clipped the ad and sent it in along with a check.  Then, much like Ralphie Parker waiting for his Super Secret Society Decoder Ring, I waited patiently for it to arrive in the mail.  In the earliest years of its life this knife's main vocation was making apple swans to decorate plates of hors doeuvres when my parents threw parties.  In it's adult life, it helped make some great food in each and every restaurant in which I have worked.  
A moment of silence, please   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .

No comments:

Post a Comment