Sunday, January 15, 2012

my first PORCHETTA...


So I usually don't like to type anything in all caps {it's like yelling}, but in this case I felt it was warranted...PORCHETTA!!!    (so there you are...bold, underlined, italicized and all caps...can you tell I'm happy with the way this turned out?)

It is something I have always wanted to make, but most of the time I am cooking for groups of about 8-10 people.  Since a traditional porchetta is made using a whole pig it would have been a bit much.

I have also seen versions that wrap a pork belly around a couple of boneless pork loins which I think is a nice idea...but still quite a large roast.

Recently I found a blog while I was researching various ways of cooking prime rib and stumbled on this post for an all-belly porchetta...now we're talkin'.  There's a lot of great detail there, so I won't repeat, but just give some of my observations now that I have made it for myself (and some friends)... 


Here is mine all tied up and ready to go.  I seasoned and tied it 2 days prior to cooking.  He said to tie the roast starting on the outside, working in.  I would have been inclined to do the opposite, but he was right...just look at how uniform it turned out!  I did change the seasonings from his version.  For years I have used a mixture of spices based on a braised pork belly recipe from the  Café Boulud Cookbook.  My mix is as follows: fennel, coriander, cumin, peppercorns, bay leaf, cinnamon, allspice, star anise, cloves, dried chiles & garlic.  Oh, and salt, plenty of salt.  While that seems like a lot of flavors going on, they really do mellow out over the long slow cooking (and it's fun listening to people trying to guess what the spices are).


On day 2 I followed his advice of rubbing the skin with a mixture of salt and baking soda.  As he explains this changes the PH of the meat/skin which allows it to get very VERY crispy.


Another step from his method is to blast it at 500 degrees at the end to crispy it up.  The roast already seemed very crisp so I decided to skip that step.  It turned out that while the skin was crispy it wasn't the right kind of crispy and was frankly difficult to eat.  Because I had cut the roast in 2 (it was otherwise too long) I decided to give the second half that blast to finish it off.  That was the ticket...the right kind of crispy...it literally shatters when you bite it!


This is the first half and, although it was delicious, everyone unanimously pushed the skin to the side of their plates.  When the second half of the roast was finished everyone was breaking off pieces of the crispy skin with ooohs and aaahs!

{there is no picture of the second half as it was devoured so quickly!}

While this dish does take some time and patience, I highly recommend giving it a try.  Pork belly really is a cheap cut of meat and is loaded with flavor.

4 comments:

  1. Great job, Eric. Second roast was perfection; pork belly seasoned to moist perfection with skin that was cracklin' crisp.

    Total coincidence that the Wicker Vineyards 2004 Cabernet was the perfect match for the savory flavors.

    Thanks for using us as your test group!! Yummmmm

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa!

    Ron, thanks for being part of and hosting my "test group". Tomorrow night's client is having this porchetta with lentils and savoy cabbage. And, yes, the Wicker was delicious and a perfect match.

    - Eric

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I want to try it, can't wait for it. Thanks for sharing. personal chef in austin tx

    ReplyDelete